Office of Maritime & Aviation Operations
$45,121.00 to $47,736.00
Open and Closing Dates
November 05, 2021 to October 28, 2022
Series and Grade
Who May Apply
Open to all qualified United States citizens. Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Effective July 14, 2021 – Recruitment Incentive may be authorized. OMAO is authorizing a Recruitment Bonus up to $10,000.00 for eligible applicants for a two (2) year service commitment.
Requirements: As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by November 22, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with the agency, if after November 22. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of the agency a legally required exception from this requirement.
Able Seaman will perform duties that pertain to the general maintenance, repair, sanitation, and upkeep of the material, equipment, and areas of Deck Department responsibility.
Operates hand tools and other equipment to perform routine maintenance work such as chipping, scrapping, painting, priming and/or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, interior spaces, boats, emergency and damage control gear; small boat and launch repair.
Performs duties of ship’s rigger; rigger of cargo nets, shoring and lashing; slings, ladders, gangways and boat fenders; splicing rope and cable; works aloft or over the side with the boatswain’s chair, stage or man lift.
Operates deck machinery, booms, winches, cranes; mooring and anchoring ship, deployment and recovery of oceanographic instruments.
Serves on field party engaged in survey or survey support operations. During small operations, serves as launch or other small boat coxswain or crew member.
Stand watches as required.
Perform other mission related duties as assigned, including duties related to the safety of the vessel and personnel.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
LICENSING AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Able Seaman Special, Limited, or Unlimited endorsement on the U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential.
2. Current STCW certificate II/4 Able Seaman, Rating Forming Part of Navigation Watch (RFPNW) Able Seaman.
3. Must possess a United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential with Medical Certificate.
Conditions of Employment:
As a conditional of employment, your position will be a Mixed Tour position. Mixed Tour of duty is a combination of full time, part time and intermittent work schedules which allows the best utilization of resources based on the work requirements of the organization. You will be required to sign a Mixed Tour Agreement.
Once selected, you may be sent to any vessel nationwide. There is no guarantee that you will be assigned to any particular vessel or geographic location, however, your duty location will be determined by your home of record or ship’s home port. Duty locations are Norfolk, VA; Charleston, SC; Woods Hole, MA; Pascagoula, MS; Newport, OR; Kodiak, AK; Ketchikan, AK; San Diego, CA; Honolulu, HI; Newport, RI; New Castle, NH.
Must be suitable for Federal employment.
Salary will be determined by locality and class of vessel.
A two year Trial period may be required.
Applicant must be able to obtain and hold a US Passport.
Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable www.sss.gov
Applicant must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical requirements in accordance with OMAO Medical Policy. USCG Medical Clearance examinations are required to include a pre-placement examination(s) as a condition of employment per OMAO policy. Position is subject to Health and Human Services (HHS) and Department of Transportation (DOT) randomized drug testing.
SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Employee must obtain and maintain appropriate security clearance for the Able Seaman position. Position is designated as a Safety-Sensitive.
Attend and successfully complete all mandatory training courses.
Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform the duties of this position.
Be ready, willing, and able to work in a shipboard environment and wear protective equipment.
NOTE: The tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled appointments – fails the physical examination, fails the drug test, suitability or unable to obtain the required security clearance.
Applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements described above will be further evaluated. Documented knowledge, skills, and abilities, education, training, and awards contained in the application package and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine the degree to which applicants possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below that are essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position for which applications are being considered.
1. Ability to perform general maintenance and repair on deck equipment.
2. Knowledge of Seamanship
3. Knowledge of shipboard safety and firefighting equipment.
4. Knowledge of helm orders and underway bridge procedures.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their application through OMAO’s Wage Mariner Hiring Portal.
Any questions may be directed to the Civilian Personnel Management Division via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to meeting the minimum conditions of employment, you will be required to scan and upload files of the following documents:
1. Front and back of United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), United States Coast Guard license, and STCW certificate.
2. Relevant professional certificates as applicable for this position i.e. American Culinary Federation (ACF), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal, Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), Security Plus, etc.
3. If you are a current or former federal government employee, a copy of your most recent Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
4. If you served in the U.S. military service, you must provide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge (DD-214) that shows the type of discharge you received. This information is located under the “Character of Service” block of your DD-214. If you are claiming 10 points or higher veteran’s preference you must provide supporting documentation such as a completed Application for Preference (SF-15) www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf.
Additional information on veteran’s preference is available at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/
You will also be required to provide a copy of the VA Rating Decisions for 10point consideration.
5. Job related honors, awards, and special accomplishments; for example, military, government or recognized professional organizations related to the maritime field and performance awards. You will be able to upload and store versions of these documents in your secure online profile.
NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the documents scanned and uploaded are legible.
Applicants may be interviewed prior to being selected for employment.
This vacancy announcement is open continuously with periodic cutoffs.
Failure to provide the required information requested for this position will adversely affect your eligibility. Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job; removed after beginning work; or subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, title 18, section 1001), or other disciplinary action.
NOAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political
affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
To apply for this job please visit marinerhiring.noaa.gov.